Wednesday 7 December 2011

A Classic's Challenge

Hi



I've decided to do the 'A Classics Challenge' next year.  I'm new to blogging, so I hope I've not taken on more that I can handle with it.  I also want to do the 'Once Upon A Time' and the R.I.P challenges so hopefully I'll manage to get them done.  It all sounds fun.

'A Classics Challengle' is where you read seven classic books throughout the year.  You are also given the option of answering a prompt once a month to further enrich the challenge. 

I've not fully decided what I'm going to pick for my seven but at the moment here are the ones I would like to read

  1. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair - I want to read this because I tried to a few years ago, but found it too depressing.  I'd like to get through it so that my mam will stop saying I couldn't do it. 
  2. Dracula  by Bram Stoker- I want to read this because I've just always wanted to but never got around to it.  Sometimes I pretend I have though (naughty me). 
  3. Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley - I've wanted to read this for a while now, because of how many read it as a warning on the perils of science. 
  4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky - I've read a lot of this before, but it was a library book and it started falling apart so I want to finish it.  And also I liked where it was going with how crime is awful, but also has an element of elitism. 
  5. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - Some would say that this is the heaviest hitter of the heavy hitters.  I've wanted to read it since I read Anna Karenina. 
  6. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll - it sounds like fun, which I'll need after getting/failing to get through the depressing lot I've selected. 
  7. A Surprise book! I haven't decided yet.  I want to see how it goes.  I know I'm cheating a bit some of the best books I've read were bought and read on impulse.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for joining the challenge, Julie! I read the two by Carroll a few years back. I enjoyed Through the Looking Glass more. Looking forward to your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete